Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I don't have a green thumb, but...


I try!



We had a garden last year, and unfortunately discovered that our soil isn't ideal for most veggies, so this year we built a raised bed and are trying it out. If all goes well, next year we'll add 3 more identical beds and will grow, freeze, and can most of our veggies for the year. It's bigger than it looks, and I haven't filled it yet! It's a little over 4 ft wide and 12 ft long


The pics aren't perfect, I am not much of a photog but you get the idea! We're growing a couple varieties of heirloom tomatoes, eggplants, spinach and a few types of peppers. Also, this year we're growing corn for the first time. I have a separate (not so pretty) herb garden and some rogue onions that I planted last year (they didn't grow). They are definitely thriving this year!

I've got more seeds growing, they're almost big enough to be re-planted. They include poppies, bachelor's buttons, peonies, heirloom kaleidoscope carrots. romaine lettuce, sweet peas, marigolds, and summer squash.


I also grow roses, this bush is an attempt to hide the gas meter



They make great cut flowers too, and I love having them around the house.

My days can be so hectic and stressful, but my quiet neighborhood and sweet little garden make me so happy. It's just calm here.


2 comments:

  1. I am trying to get my garden project going. It is starting completely from scratch so I get overwhelmed sometimes but I am so excited to be able to have fresh cut flowers from the garden one day like you!

    ReplyDelete

I like comments :)